Friday, April 3, 2020

Finding our way around Greenville

Doing some social media distancing

We are happy to be settled in here in South Carolina for a while. Like many people, I wanted to run away but there is no where escape this virus thing. It is easy for my mind get carried away, thinking I can fix this. We even spent an afternoon considering buying a house somewhere. I opened the blog to look back at our travels and the house idea went away.  Getting away from the internet and news with a bike ride or movie does wonders for us.

RVers are getting caught out in the cold trying to find a place to park their homes. Short stays in many state, federal and private campgrounds are not allowed. We thought something like this could happen and booked this campground in Greenville, SC to see how things would shake out. Some states parks are allowing volunteer camphosts to stay and work in the closed parks. Other states and COE campgrounds sent the hosts on their way to figure it out for themselves. Boondocking (dry camping) on federal land often used by rvers is not being allowed . This leaves many people paying expensive nightly rates if they can even find an open place.
While doing physical social distancing, I have also chosen to do some distancing on social media.  We have enough negative energy right now. I don't need to have politics preached to me. Do people really think I am going to change my thinking by being told that I am bad or stupid?
During our walk in the rain, I noticed these arrows on the road that looked like bike routes. Score! Further down the road we found the cycle club's parking lot. The green arrow is 35 miles and yellow is 23.

With three different colored arrows to choose from, we set out on a Sunday morning which took us down some beautiful rolling country roads with more cyclists than cars. 
It is good to slow down and just enjoy each day cooking, reading or taking a walk. No need to plan what to see or do next. Everything is closed.

Caesar Head State Park

Getting to the park is quite a drive up a steep and winding road. But the climb also gives some amazing views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Caesar Head State Park's name comes from the thought that some have claimed the rock bears a resemblance to the famous Roman general.


When the trail reaches Devils Kitchen, a set of stairs descends deep down into the rocky gap, which is just wide enough for a person to pass through. The formation was created thousands of years ago, as water on the mountain froze and expanded, causing the rock to crack open from the pressure. 
It was either a blurred picture or none. Dang.
A myth dating back to the days when the area was settled by Scottish and Irish immigrants who enjoyed brewing their own alcohol. According to the story, the Devil himself made a particularly hot brew here, and spilled a drop of it on the rock, splitting the rock open on the spot.
 One of the most popular trails at Caesars Head is the four-mile, round trip Raven Cliff Falls Trail. This hiking trail leads to the scenic overlook, where you can view the 420-foot Raven Cliff Falls.



I am lazy when it comes to anything to do with tech. Plus, we are officially "old" people according to government standards. Buying a new phone is torture because of the learning curve. Once I am through the curve it is great. We've now ordered food for pickup, scheduled and paid for our new tires online but paying to wash clothes from my smart phone was a pain. 

I had my laundry basket and quarters in my old Kodak 35 mm film container ready but had to run home to get the laundry room code. After cleaning the door handle and washer and dryer, I found there was no place to put the quarters. I marched home to get my phone and glasses to read the instructions on the wall. I then made another trip home to get a credit card and Mike to read the sign which was placed high enough for a 8 foot tall person to read. We are not tall people which messes up my bifocals.

We downloaded the app but needed an authentication code from my email. Mike got his phone so I didn't have to close the app. I know it was probably ok to go to the email but I didn't want to take a chance and have to start over. He read code and the credit card number as I entered them.  In the process of starting the machine, he asked if I had put the detergent in. We got it open and soap in just in time before the machine locked. 

Shew... I thought I should lie down until the 30 minute alarm went off,
telling me to get my sh*t out of the washer. 
We don't have anything to complain about with all of this craziness. Our families are healthy and so are we. Our incomes haven't been interrupted. Instacart and grubhub deliver our food once we figured that out.  And most of all we weren't trapped on a cruise ship.
No wonder we are sneezing so much.
If we hadn't been force to stop for a while, I am afraid we would have missed cycling on these fabulous country roads with my best friend.
The perfect way to spend birthday #62!

Decisions, decisions. Which way to go?
It seems like people are a little nicer to each other lately.
 Maybe, it is the social media distancing. I am  not sure, but I like it.


12 comments:

  1. Great blog - - glad you were able to find a place to land. We are still up in the air as far as the summer. Taking it one day at a time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We were able to book 3 months in Buena Vista at Valley RV Park. We tried Woodland Park and Salida but this worked out better. Let's see if we can get there. I bet you will find some good places. Aghhhh

      Delete
  2. Great idea to have arrows on the bike path to make the choices obvious. Beautiful pictures of your surroundings and trails. The state park trails are open, is the campground?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arrows are actually on the country roads. It is very beautiful here. All of the state parks are closed.

      Delete
  3. It sure looks like you chose a beautiful spot to stay put for as long as you need to. I just stay away from social media entirely, because it drives me crazy. But I do love keeping up with my blogging friends. That photo of you two in front of the wisteria is wonderful! Happy birthday! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good birthday. I too enjoy the blog people. They are just accepting people. The wisteria doesn't last long. It is already fading. But the dogwood is out.

      Delete
  4. I had taken a complete break from facebook a couple months ago. It was definitely good for the soul. I have been on it recently, but less so than before. It does get exhausting after a bit and, especially with all this craziness going on, it's important to do something outside, away from all the news. Love your laundry story... I have SO been there. Give me some good old fashioned low tech solutions any day of the week. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe we still have the Kodak 35mm film containers. Outside is a saving grace.

      Delete
  5. I have periodically taken breaks from FB, right not I'm on it but for brief times just to check in on friends. That's a new laundry situation I've yet to encounter, if I ever do I'm sure this will come to mind.
    You've certainly got a nice place to social distance, I'm almost (21 days) in the at risk group (60+) so it might be time to start calling in for our groceries. Dave can do his fishing and I can walk and read, our family and friends are staying healthy, life could be so much worse.
    After we lost our favorite local eatery here in Port Aransas to Hurricane Harvey we've never found a favorite again. That being said it's been almost a month since a dinner out, Chinese keeps creeping into my mind, maybe time to learn a delivery option. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My go to for distancing in social media is unfriend or unfollow. I still get to see the good stuff. Ordering groceries online is a treat. Just add it to the list. We had to skip Port Aransas this year but hope to make it back someday.

      Delete
  6. Looks like some great scenery and I'm with you on media distancing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been unfollowing the people that need to tell me how it is. Ahhh, Then I can see the people I love.

    ReplyDelete

Cuenca, Ecuador

An Expat Destination The morning after returning to Quito we boarded an hour-long flight to Cuenca. Driving up the winding roads would have ...