Saturday, June 20, 2020

A Sentimental Journey

After talking about it for a year, we finally sold our mountain bikes after hauling them around for 19 years.
I learned to mountain bike at 43 when Mike asked if I would like to borrow a bike and try it out with him. I said "No, I would like to buy my own bike." After a stop at the bike shop and a few lessons, I found I loved the feeling of the wind and dirt on my face while overcoming a challenging climb and the peaceful feeling riding through the wilderness. 
April 2015 Kokopelli Trail, Fruita, CO

It took a lot of energy at times, paying attention and planning your next line to avoid obstacles ahead. No distractions allowed. Sitting on a rock and taking in the outdoors while breathing hard after a climb was the best. 

One of my first falls was into cactus in Palmer Park in Colorado Springs. Mike pulled out his trusty pliers and started pulling out the largest spines (I could have sworn I heard him chuckle but he denies it). Months later I could feel the fine cactus spines when I ran my hand across my hip.
August 2016 Tucson Arizona

We have so many good memories on the old and later new mountain bikes. Like stopping along a stream in Alaska, where a labradoodle came bounding down the trrail. He eyed my bright gloves I had placed in my helmet while rinsing my face. He snuck up, grabbed it and galloped off throwing it in the air. I did finally get the slobbery thing back.

Riding in British Columbia, we came across bears on the trail. By the third bear, I declared that I was out and would wait for Mike in the truck. Mike said he had never seen my short legs move so fast. 
Sept 2015 Minnesota

I went over the handle bars in Colorado and Idaho. Only one of those landed with a visit to the Emergency Room. 

Over time, we rode them less and less, opting for our road bikes and hiking. Lifting two 25 pound bikes over his head to the top of the truck while was standing on a ladder got a bit old. I would lift them up for him to place in the rack and lock them in while supporting the ladder.


Our last ride in Colorado was a tough one. The altitude and rock gardens meant a lot of off and on the bikes through difficult areas. During a rest stop, a 40 something lady rode a section I had just pushed my bike up got my blood flowing. Mike looked up while putting on his camelback and saw me heading down the trail. I decided I wasn't climbing on and off the bike anymore. I could feel my rear tire slide off the rocks I was riding over. On one break away, I felt the tire slide towards the steep edge of the trail but kept peddling. It felt good to be conquering this path. Finally, I was breathing so hard that I had to stop and rest. Mike caught up and asked what had gotten into me. I looked back on the trail I had just ridden and realized even though I had ridden it, it could have turned out differently.
 
When we arrived home, he asked if I was ready to sell them. He listed them on Craigslist and sold them both in 24 hours.

I am not sad they are gone to new homes. I am glad he invited me on that first ride in the dirt and we didn't wait for someday to give it a try. We can buy new bikes if we feel the need in the future. Now, I am glad to have two less "things" to take care of as we continue our minimalist lifestyle. Less stuff, more experiences.





6 comments:

  1. Nice to have a quick sale of the bikes ... says a lot of the condition you have kept them in. We started on road bikes, doing the CA coast, and then mountain bikes as the roads got more congested. Now I ride an eBike most of the time.
    Thanks for sharing your memories and fondness of the way the bikes extended your range in the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exploring on bike does change the experience.

      Delete
  2. I've always been amazed by mountain bikers. I would be in the Emergency Room before I could get out of the parking lot. I am just not that coordinated. Sounds like you had a great time with the hobby and now it's time for something else, and even if you change your mind, like most things, you can always go back to it. "Cheers" to less stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a lot of adventures on your mountain bike and some that sounded painful (falling into cactus!). But it all adds to the wonderful stories you have to tell. We love biking, but I don't think I'm cut out to be a hard core mountain biker. I'm impressed with your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exciting but now it is time to move on.

      Delete

Cuenca, Ecuador

An Expat Destination The morning after returning to Quito we boarded an hour-long flight to Cuenca. Driving up the winding roads would have ...