Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Time with the family in Tucson

Catalina State Park in Oro Valley northeast of Tucson is a favorite place of ours along with the hike to Romero pools. It is 5.5 miles out and back with a treat of a stream and pools to cool down in. We skipped this hike until it cools down a bit more. Deb hates rattlesnakes.
 

In the eastern foothills of the Santa Catalina mountain range, Sabino Canyon is a world of natural beauty. Stunning vistas, the freshness of the morning air, the tranquility of running creek water, and the rugged backdrop of Thimble Peak make this place so unique. There is a tram that people can ride and see the scenery but we chose to walk the 6 miles.
 

There is a beautiful visitors center which was nice for a cool down after our hike. The sun gets toasty even though the temps were in the 70s with a nice breeze.


 
When I lived near here while working at the medical center, we would walk here often and see roadrunners and turtles many times.

The rains have been pretty heavy since we have been here so the stream from Mt Lemmon had a pretty good flow. Mike was pondering while watching the fish.

There are 9 nine stream crossings

Love those desert sunsets.

On the driveway to my sister's house, I stepped over a rattle snake and didn't realize it until Mike told me.


I appreciated the clouds. As they rolled in the crowds thinned out for a pleasant walk.

The reason for our visit to Tucson this time was a celebration of my niece's wedding
My sisters Sandy and Patty at the rehearsal dinner. Lyndsey behind the camera. It was fun to catch up with everyone. Sunday after the wedding there was a BBQ and three nice days of visiting and telling stories. Driving home after everything, Mike noticed I was quiet. I was just lost in my thoughts of how time passes so quickly. It was 28 years ago that we were attending Sandy and Ihor's wedding and our children were the flower girls and ring bearer.

Kim was a beautiful bride. At the reception, we stood outside and watched the lightening show all across the night sky.

2 comments:

  1. I've been right behind Hans when I realized he stepped right over a rattlesnake, scared the heck out of me! You were lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. So glad the snake gave Hans a pass.

      Delete

Cuenca, Ecuador

An Expat Destination The morning after returning to Quito we boarded an hour-long flight to Cuenca. Driving up the winding roads would have ...